Friday, November 5, 2010

Enjoy your Inner Magic Cookie Bar

Yogic Treats

Several years ago, most likely for his birthday, I sent my brother a package full of one of our favorite childhood treats, Magic Cookie Bars (sometimes referred to as Seven Layer Cookie Bars).

He loved them and when he received my box, he apparently dove in and ate them a little too quickly.

As my brother was just getting deeper into a solid meditation practice at the time, I sketched a little cartoon for him. Years later, after getting deeper into yoga myself, I realized how much I came close to hitting the nail on the head with some relevant concepts, even though at the time I was just kidding around a bit. I'm thinking of ideas like: avoiding attachments, looking at or enjoying something from both sides of a situation and finding the middle ground, being present, and concentration and focus.

I used to do a lot more sketching and that gave me much enjoyment. I've kept this cartoon on my fridge for a long time as a reminder of a fun creation, but today I thought I'd share it with you. I thought it was pretty cute and novel when I created it! It reminds me that I must always allow time for my passions in the areas of crafts and baking. What's your passion or favorite hobby?

By the way, the Magic Cookie Bar recipe is pretty simple. Here it is off the top of my head:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees


The 7 Ingredients:
1 stick -- Butter, melted
2 cups -- Graham Cracker crumbs
Bag of Chocolate Chips
Bag of Butterscotch Chips
Bag of Shredded Coconut
2 cups Chopped Pecans
Sweetened Condensed Milk

Directions:
1. Melt butter onto (or pour onto) bottom of 9" x 13" baking dish (can be Pyrex)
2. Evenly distribute Graham Cracker crumbs over bottom of dish (will soak up butter)
3. Evenly distribute over top of crumbs the Chocolate Chips, followed by the Butterscotch Chips, followed by the bag of Shredded Coconut, followed by 2 cups of Chopped Pecans
4. Carefully pour the can of Sweetened Condensed Milk evenly over top of entire pan (the best way to do this is to start at one end, in a corner, and go straight across; then zig-zag straight back on a new line to the original side, and keep going like that, back and forth, 'til you've covered the other ingredients; you just need a gentle layer to get the condensed milk to entirely coat the top of the chips, coconut and pecans)
5. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes; use the middle rack
6. Remove from the oven, let cool for several minutes, cut into squares or rectangular bars with a knife, and then carefully remove each piece from the baking dish (perhaps using an offset spatula)
7. Enjoy! Yummm!!

Namaste,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment